Special Morale and Welfare (SM&W) Program

ATTENTION WINDOWS 10 USERS! Please save all forms/files before opening them. Thank You.

Special Morale and Welfare (SM&W)

Non-Appropriated funds (NAF’s) are contributed to SM&W for the overall morale of the military community on Hill AFB IAW AFI 34-201. Expenditures from this fund must IAW established guidelines, be conservative in nature, be in the best interest of the Air Force, benefit the military community, and is available regardless of rank and/or level of personnel.

What do these funds help with?

    -Retirements: Active Duty and DoD Civilians are eligible


    -Change of Commands: Receptions following change of command ceremonies for incoming commanders are authorized.

    -Commander’s Call: Commanders may hold a commander’s call once a quarter. Directorates are TBD. Limits are $100 and may be used for light refreshments.

Common reasons SM&W reimbursements are not made:

    -Refreshments include a meat and cheese tray or items that were purchased in order to build a meal. SM&W cover light refreshments (nonalcoholic beverages, desserts, or snacks)

    -Request submitted after event date. SM&W expenditures must be requested and approved in advance per AFI 34-201, para

    -Mementos over $20 that use comingled funds. Squadron or personal funds may not be added to the $20 limit in order to purchase a larger memento. Also, the $20 for a memento cannot be part of a gift. (examples: Flag box, shadow box, etc…). The memento receipt has to be $20 or less. We cannot reimburse $20 towards a larger memento.

    -We have had some discussions as to what is authorized for a spouse. We have come to the following conclusion: the spouse is authorized to receive an “everlasting” gift or flowers for $20 or less. The retiree may ONLY receive an “everlasting” gift, NO flowers for $20 or less. The gifts must be tangible and reflective of the organization that the member is retiring from.

    -Tax paid at off base facilities. SM&W does not reimburse tax.

Unit Parties and Picnics

The 75th Force Support Squadron is authorized to fund organizational parties and picnics using non-appropriated funds (NAFs), see AFI 34-201. In accordance with the AFI, care must be exercised to assure all eligible personnel, to the extent possible, are able to attend and the basic needs of the Morale Welfare and Recreation program are being met. Requests must be submitted to 75FSS.FSRBL@us.af.mil.

Unit Party and Picnic Request Form

Tips to help your request go smoothly

Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind as you submit your request

    -Most important: Contact 75 FSS/FSR, DSN 775-6790 or send an e-mail to 75FSS.FSRBL@us.af.mil when you have a SM&W request for specific guidance!!

    -Your request must be approved prior to the function date.

    -Your request must be submitted 2 weeks prior to the function date to ensure plenty of time for the approval process.

    -Include as many details as possible such as the type of light refreshment, and/or the number of military and civilians expected to attend.

    -Confirm your SM&W request has been approved before spending money.

    -Tax cannot be reimbursed. Commissary surcharge is allowed.

    -Return all receipts to 75 FSS/FSR (NAF Accounting Office Bldg 180, second floor, Room 200) for reimbursement before noon within one month after the event.

Frequently Asked Questions About The SM&W Program:

    Q. Can a flag be purchased with SM&W funds? A. Yes, you can purchase a U.S. flag for a civilian employee. Military personnel cannot receive a U.S. flag from SM&W because it is authorized with APF funds. However, a state flag can be purchased as a memento.

    Q. If a squadron is being deactivated can it be funded under a memorial observance? A. Yes, if the flag/guidon is being retired you may authorize as a memorial observance, using rule 51 (reference SM&W Guidelines)

    Q. Can we reimburse a $20 memento if we know the cost of the item is more than $20? A. No, a memento total cost is NTE $20. It is not just the SM&W share, but the total price. SM&W expenditure authority may not be combined with other funds to purchase a more expensive item. The purchase of wrapping paper, gift boxes, bows, or any other item that gives the appearance of a gift from SM&W is prohibited.

    Q. Does size matter when it comes to muffins/bagels? And whether or not cream cheese can be reimbursed if bagels are purchased? A. Currently light refreshments are defined as nonalcoholic beverages, desserts, or snacks. Alcoholic beverages of any kind, meals, buffets, banquets, smorgasbords, and heavy hors d'oeuvres are excluded. Keeping this in mind and the general rule of conservatism, the items and amount provided per person, there is some leeway in the items provided. The cream cheese purchase to accompany the muffins/bagels could be authorized.

    Q. The collocated club charges a service fee of $35 on top of the normal service charges (20% of total invoice) to customers for cutting/plating cakes. This fee is mandatory for all events with cake (whether brought in or purchased from the club) and covers labor for the individual cutting the cake, the dishwasher cleaning the dishes after the function, and miscellaneous supplies used. The question is; would this service fee be reimbursable with SM&W funding under rules 5, 12, 16, 32, 46, 51, 70, 74, and/or 91 (light refreshments)? A. Yes. Light refreshments can include any club or other MWR activity service charge, delivery fee, or set-up fee. We have included this in our re-write of AFI 34-201.

    Q. Can we purchase a cake server with SM&W? A. No. Light refreshments may include the cost of disposable serving ware (e.g., paper napkins, disposable forks, cups, and plates). It includes those basic disposable items that are necessary for the serving of light refreshments. The purchase of china, silverware/flatware, tablecloths, plates, glasses, punch bowls and cups, chafing dishes, serving trays, coffee urns, etc., from SM&W is prohibited.

    Q. Are NAF employees authorized to use SM&W for retirements? A. Yes. A NAF employee is a federal government (DoD) employee and has the same entitlement as an APF employee.

    Q. Does the spouse have to have flowers? A. No. The spouse is authorized flowers or a memento. The memento has to be tangible and reflective of the organization that the retiree is retiring from. Same goes for the retiree memento. And cannot go over the $20 limit.

    Q. Can I buy the retiree golf balls? A. Yes. But the golf balls have to come from the golf course on base or bought at another facility on base and have the Air Force logo.

    Q. Are Retiree Appreciation Events and Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies authorized under SM&W? A. No. They are not authorized under SM&W rules

    Q. Can rental of linen from the club be considered an SM&W expense for a change of command? (The event was not held in the club.) A. Rental expenses are not authorized from SM&W.

    Q. Can we use SM&W Funds to host a base wide post CUI inspection party? A. No, SM&W cannot be used to host a post CUI inspection party. Unit funds could be used for this type of event, as authorized per installation rules/guidance.